NESC's published its most recent Housing Report Housing Supply and Land: Driving Public Action for the Common Good on the 23rd of July 2015. This report is part of NESC’s contribution to Government development of housing policy and the work underway as part of Construction 2020.
It is the fourth report published by NESC on housing policy over the past year. The first of these reports, Social Housing at the Crossroads, looked at the actions needed to support the development and financing of social housing in Ireland; it was published in June 2014. The second report, Homeownership and Rental: What Road is Ireland On? examined the evolving balance between homeownership and rental accommodation; this second report was published in December 2014. The third report Ireland’s Rental Sector: Pathways to Secure Occupancy and Affordable Supply, examined the development of the rental sector, with particular focus on permanent affordable rent.
NESC also published supporting research carried out by Dr. Philip Lawton from NUI Galway. The study Socially Integrated Housing and Sustainable Urban Communities analyses efforts to create integrated mixed-income housing in Adamstown, Dublin Docklands and Fatima Mansions/Herberton. The analysis shows that important reforms of the past 15 years, such as strategic development zones (SDZs), remain incomplete, limiting the achievement of integrated housing.
Recent NESC work on housing builds on earlier work by the Council. In particular, in 2004 the Council carried out a major study on housing called Housing in Ireland: Performance and Policy.
NESC Housing Reports
- Housing Supply and Land: Driving Public Action for the Common Good (2015)
- Ireland’s Private Rental Sector: Pathways to Secure Occupancy & Affordable Supply (2015)
- Homeownership and Rental: What Road is Ireland On? (2014)
- Social Housing at the Crossroads: Possibilities for Investment, Provision and Cost Rental (2014)
- Housing in Ireland: Performance and Policy (2004)
Other NESC Housing Publications
- Socially Integrated Housing and Sustainable Urban Communities (2015)
- Financing of Social Housing in Selected European Countries (2014)
- Review of Irish Social and Affordable Housing Provision (2014)
From the Archives
- A Review of Housing Policy (1989)
- Housing Requirements and Population Change 1981-1991 (1983)
- Report on Housing Subsidies (1977)
- Some Aspects of Finance for Owner-Occupied Housing (1976)
- Energy Efficiency & the Passive House Standard - Rountable (27.04.2016)
- Creating an Affordable, Sustainable & Equitable Housing System (10.09.2015)
- Launch of NESC Report 138: 'Social Housing at the Crossroads: Possibilities for Investment, Provision and Cost Rental' (11.06.2014)
Follow this #NescHousing
Follow us @nescireland